Part 2 of my shoe project was to create a shoe out of primitive shapes using foam. Our foam workshop has a series of hot wires that cut foam a bit like a bandsaw, but more like a hot knife through butter.
Rather than buying foam, I found scraps out of the foam bin that were fine for what I needed. I quite liked the yellow foam for my purposes. After cutting out vague shapes, i then used an instrument that was somewhere between a file and a cheese grater to refine the form and eventually spent a long time sanding it into perfection.
Next was the task of making planes out of card. This proved to be the hardest of the three.
I started by attempting to measure segments of the shoe. This was difficult but a good start. From there I just used the trial and error method of cutting shapes and recutting them to adjust. The result was a shoe-shaped thing that looked very busy.
My tutors recommended taking out some of the panels. I was apprehensive, as the width of the base of the shoe was illustrated by many of these panels. The solution became adding 3rd dimension and removing some of the panels.
With my design finally decided upon, I started constructing the finished piece. With such strong cardboard, it was an incredibly slow and painful task for my hands to scalpel. Looking at the ugly burn marks on some other students’ laser-cut attempts, though, I’m glad I did it.
The final challenge was to mount all three models on white cardboard squares against the wall. Because the wire shoe was created to balance in a certain way, there was only one way it could be hung without skewing. This dictated the placement of each of the models.
I used wire for the wire, hot glue for the cardboard and aquadhere for the foam.